The semester has begun and you’re finally getting settled into classes… but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be thinking ahead! Summer will be here before you know it – and if you’re a sophomore or junior (or even an ambitious freshman!) at the University of Georgia, that could mean one thing: internships.
The idea of seeking out, applying, and interviewing for an internship could seem a bit intimidating at first, but it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few tips to follow so you can be in the best position possible to score an amazing summer opportunity:
- Think of where you’d want to intern. Where is your dream job located? Do you want to be a big city marketing executive or work in a creative field in a quirky town? Brainstorm the possibilities and write them down. Knowing what may interest you will help you narrow down your search.
- Update your resume and LinkedIn profile. Has it been a few months since you updated your resume? Did you join a new club or take on a part time job? Make sure your resume and LinkedIn are in tip-top shape and have the most up-to-date information to make you the strongest candidate you can be. Take advantage of any career services or resume workshops for tips and tricks to make you stand out!
- Network, network, network! Ask around: between your friends, classmates, clubs, and teachers, someone could know someone who’s looking for someone like you to fill their intern position! Ask older friends about previous internships they held. What did they like about them? Would they recommend the experience? It is said that it’s not always what you know, but whom you know, so by having a connection, you could have an advantage!
- Don’t be afraid to try something new. Stumble across an unexpected opportunity? It doesn’t hurt to apply! Don’t limit yourself to only a few opportunities in only one field. You never know: you could discover a brand new passion or make the connections of a lifetime!
- Start your search now. Next thing you know you’ll be taking your final exams and saying goodbye to your friends for the summer. The sooner you get your search on, the less stressed you’ll be and the more likely you’ll find that perfect position for you.
Summer will be here soon and not long after that, it will be a whole new semester! Where will you be living? Riverbend Club and Towne Club give you all of the convenience you need and the ability to thrive in the town of Athens. Learn more about our available properties.